Is it just me, or are most ‘everyday makeup routines’ super unrealistic? If you work full time with standard hours (like me), the chances are you don’t prime your face with 20 different products, rock a smokey eye, or spend an hour blending your contour every morning. If you do, then you go girl, I wish I could be that productive in the morning! Instead I usually roll out of bed about 15 minutes before I leave the house, leaving me minimal time to attempt any form of makeup.
So I’ve decided to put together this post explaining how I apply my makeup everyday to make myself look more awake, and somewhat presentable!
Of course, some mornings are better than others, so I’ve split this post into three sections – Makeup routine in 5-10 minutes (which is most mornings!)
– Makeup routine in 10-15 minutes
– Makeup routine in 15-20 minutes
I am NOT saying that what I do is right (though, is there really a ‘right’ way to do makeup?) – this is simply my personal routine!
5-10 Minute Makeup
Like I said, this is the time frame that I usually work with, so I feel like I’ve mastered the art of looking more awake by throwing on some makeup in no time at all!
1) The first thing I always do is wash my face, mainly because the cold water splashed on my face is the only way to properly wake me up!
2) Next I will conceal any obvious blemishes and under the eyes.
3) Then, lightly fill in the sparse areas of my brows.
4) Finally apply a couple of coats of mascara (mascara is definitely the secret to looking more awake)
10-15 Minute Makeup
The difference between having 5-10 mins and having 10-15 mins is huge!
1) Again, step one is to wash my face.
2) Conceal all blemishes, as well as under the eyes and any red areas on my face.
3) Use a light foundation or bb cream just where I feel I need it.
4) Adequately fill in my brows, giving them more of a shape.
5) Apply a wash of eyeshadow all over the lid.
6) Draw a thin line of liner (no wing) on my top lid.
7) Apply a couple of coats of mascara.
15-20 Minute Makeup
This post is all about being realistic, and realistically I very rarely spend more than 10/15 minutes on my makeup in the morning. But on the rare occasions that I do have time, this is what I do:
1) Wash my face.
2) Conceal blemishes, under the eyes, and any red areas on my face.
3) Apply a light layer of full coverage foundation.
4) Adequately fill in my brows and define them.
5) Use neutral brown shades to create a subtle and soft smoky eye.
6) Winged eyeliner. (everyone knows this takes the most time!)
7) Apply a few coats of mascara.
8) Lightly contour and highlight my face with powder.
9) Sometimes I’ll even throw on a neutral coloured lipstick
Obviously if I’m going to an event, or going somewhere other than work I can happily spend an hour or more applying makeup. But for every day, I don’t like to go over the top!
If you have any quick tips for morning makeup, I’d love to hear them!